Chicago Music Trip
The music department has successfully returned from Chicago, here are their accomplishments:
- 89 High School Students & 1 Junior High Student traveled from Phoenix to Chicago, leaving at 6:00 am on Thursday 3/16 and returning at 6:00 pm on Sunday 3/19. This number constitutes about 20% of the entire school and about 30% of the High School at GCA. The Symphonic Strings, Wind Ensemble and Chorale all received 90-minuteclinics with professors at the Vandercook College of Music, which specializes exclusively in Music Education
- The Wind Ensemble, Symphony Orchestra, and Chorale performed at the Field Museum in Chicago, Illinois. (Sue, the T-Rex featured in Night at the Museum overlooked each performance) The Wind Ensemble and Chorale performed arrangements of "Danny Boy" at the Field Museum on St. Patrick's Day in Chicago.
- Each of the 3 above ensembles participated in the WorldStrides OnStage Festival in Chicago. The festival included performances from schools representing 9 different states. Here are our results:
- The GCA Wind Ensemble received a Silver Rating on their performance.
- The GCA Chorale received a Gold Rating and 3rd place on their performance
- The GCA Symphony Orchestra received a Gold rating and 1st place on their performance.
- Luke Fernando (Junior, Choir/Orchestra) was awarded a "Maestro" award for his outstanding vocal solo on "Ave Maria"
- Kayleigh Rinella (Junior, Band) was awarded 2 "Maestro" awards for her Flute Solo on "Carmen" with the Symphony Orchestra and for her Piccolo Solo on "Eire" with the Wind Ensemble. Overall, Kayleigh was ranked as the #1, and #2 musician by the adjudicators.
- The GCA Symphony Orchestra was awarded the "Adjudicators Award" for being the top Instrumental group overall.
- The GCA Music Department was awarded the "...... Award" for having the highest combined scores from all 3 types of ensembles.
GCA Orchestra - Field Museum in Chicago